Irish Abroad: 7 Visa Options to Stay In Australia Longer


Irish Abroad: Now that Covid is going away slowly, it is time to see the world again. Are you gearing up to visit Australia? Will you want to stay longer than your initial visa? Well, here are some ideas. Stephen Palmer of the website Irish Around Oz gives us the low down on applying for a visa for Australia and staying there.

Let’s face it, Australia is an amazing place; it’s no wonder so many people want to stay in Australia longer. We all know that person who came to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa for 12 months and ended up staying 12 years. But how did they do it?

This article breaks down the various options available to people who have been Australia and wish to stay longer.

Speak to a Registered Migration Agent

When it comes to staying in Australia longer, it really depends on your visa options. You can spend hours browsing Facebook threads and reading visa forums, but there really is no substitute for professional advice.

A Registered Migration Agent can be worth their weight in gold when it comes to exploring your visa options. There are hundreds of visa subclasses and you may well be eligible for a visa that you’ve never even heard of.

Irish Abroad

Option 1: 2nd Year Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

If you have already completed your 1st WHV and you would like to stay for another year, you may qualify for a 2nd WHV. This is one of the most straightforward options if you’re looking for a way to remain in the country. To qualify for this visa, you must be between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) of age when applying and must have completed at least 88 days of ‘specified work’ work on your first Working Holiday Visa, which may include farm work, fruit picking or construction work in a regional area.

You can apply for this visa either from inside or outside of Australia.

If you are in Australia when you submit your 2nd WHV application, you will automatically roll onto this once your 1st WHV expires. The current processing time is 2-3 weeks. If you do leave this to the last minute to apply for you should be eligible for a bridging visa.

Remember you can still only work 6 months with any one employer! Don’t get caught out as this could impact future visa applications. Always abide by the conditions associated with your visa.

3rd Year Working Holiday Visa

Some visa holders may even be eligible for a third WHV if they undertake six months of specified regional work whilst on their second WHV.

Age restrictions and other criteria will still apply, but this is great news for anyone looking for a way to extend their time here.

Irish Abroad

Option 2: Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 Visa

The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 visa is a good option for those who can secure an eligible job offer from an Australian company.

You can apply for the 482 visa if your occupation is on one of the Government’s occupation lists (STSOL, MLTSSL or ROL) and if your employer meets the criteria to become a sponsor. Depending on your occupation, 482 visas can be granted for up to four years. Some 482 occupations are subject to caveats; for example, you may need to earn more than a specified amount. A Registered Migration Agent can run you through this.

Depending on your occupation, age, and English language skills, you may have a pathway to PR from the 482 visa.

Irish Abroad

Option 3: Student Visa for Staying in Australia Longer

The Australian student visa will allow you to complete a course in Australia. You can book a language course, diploma or a degree course or any other course that you like.

You will be entitled to study full-time and work part-time for up to 20 hours a week during the semesters and full-time during the holidays. The validity of your student visa will be based on the length of your course.

If you are already in Australia on a tourist, working holiday visa, or any other type of visa, you can apply for your student visa from within Australia.

You can obtain a bridging visa if needed which will allow you to stay in the country while your student visa is in process. In order to apply for this visa, you need to have a confirmation of enrollment from the training provider first.

You will also need to have access to sufficient funds to cover your tuition and to support yourself during your course.

Option 4: Skilled Migration Visa

Depending on your occupation, you may be eligible to apply for a skilled independent visa. To be eligible for a skilled independent visa, you must obtain a certain number of points.

Points are allocated based on work experience, qualifications and age, among other things.

You can earn additional points if you’re sponsored by a State that requires workers with your skills.

As part of your application, you must lodge an Expression of Interest. Depending on your points, the Government may then invite you to apply for a visa.

You may also need to obtain a positive skill assessment in your occupation.

Option 5: Partner visa for staying in Australia longer

If you have an Australian partner – or an eligible New Zealand partner – you might be eligible to apply for a partner visa once you can provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and ongoing.

You will need evidence of your relationship, including proof of living together. The length of time you need to evidence depends on the type of partner visa you’re applying for.

Depending on the state you live in, you may be able to reduce this waiting period by registering your relationship.

If you are in Australia at the time when you are submitting your partner visa, you will be covered by a bridging visa, which means you can remain in Australia during processing.

Some of the most popular types of partner visa include the 820/801 partner visa, 309/100 partner visa, New Zealand citizen family relationship temporary visa and the prospective marriage visa.


Option 6: Training Visa (407)

The training and research (407) visa allows you to work for an Australian employer whilst you receive on-the-job training.

This particular visa can be granted for a period of six months up to two years. The exact time will be determined by the case officer that assesses your application.

Your employer must nominate you and produce a structured training program detailing the learning areas you will cover.

A Registered Migration Agent can assess your eligibility for the visa, but generally, you must have been either studying or working in the occupation for at least 12 months out of the last 24.

Option 7: Regional Visa

The Government recently announced plans to introduce a number of new regional visas. The 494 skilled employer-sponsored visa replaced the 187 (RSMS). More than 700 occupations will be eligible for this subclass and the visa may provide a pathway to Permanent Residency after five years.

Employers must be located in regional areas (this excludes Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth, and Melbourne) and approval from a Regional Certifying Body is required.

The Government also announced the introduction of the 491 visa, which replaces the 489 visa. This is a points-based five-year visa that also has a pathway to PR.

As you can see from the above points, it is not just a matter of finding the easiest visa option to stay in Australia longer.

It is also about finding one that can fit your circumstances and allow you the freedom to continue working or studying.

Thanks for reading and best of luck with your time in Australia!

Stephen runs an incredibly useful website for Irish people looking to go to Australia. Click here to log on.


Prefer to do things in Ireland instead? Then check this out. 


About Author