In the ultimate irony, the entire country will be bathed in sunshine this bank holiday while we all stay close to home. But we can still make the most of it with some delicious BBQ food and a cool beverage or two, brought to us by our friends at Aldi.
Barbecue Burger with Tomato, Cucumber & Beetroot Salad
Whip up this gorgeous burger in minutes. Serves 4
- 2 packs 5% Fat Irish Lean Beef Burgers – just €1.99 each at your local Aldi until 3rd June
- 1 x Cucumber
- 4 x Tomatoes
- 400g Beetroot
- Juice of a Fresh Lime
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 x Green Chilli – mixed chillies are just €0.49 until 3rd June
- 1 x Red Chilli
- A Small Clove Garlic, crushed
- 80g Blue Stilton
- 4 x Burger Buns – Bungees Buns €0.85 per 6 pack
- Salt and Black Pepper
- BBQ the burgers on a medium heat for around 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes (ensure the burgers are cooked through and that the juices run clear).
- Whilst the burgers are cooking prepare the salad.
- Halve the cucumber and, using a peeler, slice one half into thin ribbons.
- Place these into a large sieve, sprinkle with a little salt and sit over a bowl to remove some of the water.
- Chop the other half along with the tomatoes and beetroot.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, mix together the lime juice, oil and crushed garlic.
- Finely chop the green chilli, add to the dressing and season to taste.
- Pour dressing over the salad and lightly toss.
- When the burgers are cooked, top each with some crumbled blue stilton and some slices of red chilli.
- Grill until just melted.
- Toast the burger buns
- Add a few cucumber ribbons to each roll base, add a burger and top with a lid.
- Serve immediately with the salad on the side.
Barbecue Chicken Fillets with Italian Sauce
Make this in a half hour. Serves 4
- 1 pack Chicken Mini Fillets
- 500g Passata
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 20g fresh Basil
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Courgettes – just €0.49 per 500g at Aldi until 3rd June.
- Place the passata into a medium saucepan.
- Crush 2 of the garlic cloves and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Finely chop 10g of the basil.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped basil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice the courgettes lengthways.
- Season with salt and pepper, drizzle over 1 tablespoon of oil and add a crushed garlic clove.
- Season the chicken fillets with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Barbecue or grill the chicken and courgettes, turning halfway through, until cooked.
- Place the sauce into a serving bowl and put the chicken and courgette on top.
- Sprinkle over fresh basil.
Aldi have a great selection of BBQ meats, salads, burger melts and all those little extras to make your meal really special, find out more here.
And to really top it off, treat yourself to a great bottle of wine. Tom Doorley, Aldi’s Wine Ambassador, has picked his three favourite wines in store at the moment – the perfect BBQ choices!
White: Specially Selected Freeman’s Bay Gruner Veltliner – New Zealand €8.99/75cl – The great white grape of Austria is given the Kiwi treatment, resulting in a dry, crisp, elegant wine with a touch of grapefruit zest and white pepper. Perfect with chicken dishes.
Red: Exquisite Collection Argentinian Malbec €7.99/75cl, which won silver at the International Wine and Spirits Competition 2018.Outstanding value for a New World Malbec, from the Uco Valley, the high altitude giving relatively cool growing conditions. Full of fruit, ripe, plummy, unoaked, perfect with sirloin steak.
Sparkling: Costellore Prosecco Frizzante DOC – Italy €7.99/75cl – Lemons, limes, grapefruit, peach and a touch of melon. Perfect with fresh salad pots. Awarded Bronze at The Drinks Business 2020 Prosecco Masters
So there’s your weekend sorted. When life sends you lemons, make lemonade. And when life sends you covid19, make burgers.