Every year, our in-house psychic shares some of his predictions with our online audience. So, without further ado, we give you his 2020 predictions:
- Facebook and Google will be hit with fines and penalties in anti-trust investigations
- A CRISPR treatment for an inherited condition will cause controversy
- Brazil’s President Bolsonaro to face impeachment in 2020
- Get ready for holograms! We will soon be able to project them from our smartphones
- Thawing permafrost in the Arctic and Siberia will be huge news this year
- New discoveries about dark matter are on the way
- Trouble on the border between North Korea and China
- Poor crop yields in the USA
- Joe Biden to win the democratic presidential nomination
- Flash floods will cause problems in Italy
- CRISPR technology will save the banana from extinction
- Problems for SpaceX in 2020, delays to scheduled launches
- There will be an immigration crisis in Europe, possibly even bigger than the 2015 crisis
- A simple screening test to identify people at risk of developing dementia is on the way
- Soon we will have a universal flu vaccine that protects against all strains of the virus
- A high profile sexual assault case will make the news at home
Our psychic is off to a good start for 2020
You won’t find our full range of predictions online as they appear exclusively in our magazine. But for the curious among you, here’s a selection of predictions from this year’s Almanac that have already come to pass:
- “An unusual virus has people worried” – we hardly need to say anymore about this one
- “More and more people will work from home” – hmmmm, see above
- “Liam and Noel Gallagher kiss and make up” – with rumours in the press that the brothers are back on speaking terms, we have our fingers crossed for an oasis reunion announcement.
- “Death of a Hollywood icon” – RIP Kirk Douglas
- “A baby for Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom” – Perry announced her news in style by showing off her bump in her latest video
- “Angela Merkel’s replacement is not set in stone, a new successor will emerge” – AKK, as Merkel’s intended successor is known in Germany, announced in February that she was standing down
- “Tensions in the Middle East reach breaking point. As Iran flexes its muscles, Trump makes a bad situation worse” – it seems like a very long time ago, but the killing of Qasem Soleimani on January 3rd caused major tension between Iran and the U.S.
- “Kyle Jenner and Travis Scott reconcile” – recent rumours suggest the couple are back together again
It’s still only March, so who knows how many more of our predictions will hit the news this year – if you want to get the inside scoop, you can buy the Almanac here. Of course, it’s also packed with our usual quirky collection of articles, plus horoscopes for the year ahead, so you get plenty of bang for your buck.
We’ll continue to update this page with predictions as the year goes on. In the meantime, you can check for yourself how our psychic did in 2019 or join us as we look back at a decade of predictions.