Herbal remedies are fascinating and inexpensive. Some of them have been around for thousands of years. These herbal remedies are made from ingredients that are readily found on supermarket shelves, or easily grown in Ireland.
This perennial plant is a garden bomb full of goodness. Not only does it make a gorgeous patch of green in your garden, the oils, tannins, and bitters in the leaves and f lowers have a lot of value as medicines. They have an anti-spasmodic effect on nervous tummies, but also on the nervous system.
Not only can it be taken internally, it can also be used to treat skin problems like cold sores. And the good news is that children can take it in warm teas. If you are nervous and a bit jumpy, you can make this tea to calm yourself down. It is great for younger people before an exam or other event they feel nervous about.
Three to four sprays of fresh lemon balm leaves One pint of boiling water
1. Infuse the leaves in the boiling water for up to 10 minutes.
2. Strain and pour. Add a sprig of fresh leaves in a glass mug for decorative effect!
Cinnamon is a powerhouse in herbal medicine. But one thing it is excellent for is treating diarrhoea. You can make this drink to get rid of unwanted bowel movements.
1. Mix one tablespoon with one tablespoon of sugar.
2. Boil some water and add it to a tall mug. Then stir in the cinnamon and sugar mix.
3. Wait for it to cool down, and then drink it when it is tepid.
Mullein is a biennial, so you’ll only see these flowers after two years. But when you plant this life form in your garden you’ll be very impressed. The stem will emerge and cover itself in yellow flowers. They can grow up to six feet in height and look very fancy! Many cough formulas use mullein, and many herbalists recommend it to kick out a stubborn cough.
MULLEIN COUGH MEDICINE
A good handful of mullein leaves
1. Boil a cup of mullein leaves until half the water has evaporated.
2. Strain through a cloth or coffee filter until all the water is gone.
3. While the steam is still coming out, mix in 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
4. The mix will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks. Take 3 tablespoons a day to loosen a cough.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
We all get acid reflux at times, but some people get it worse than others, particularly in times of stress. But never mind, an easy remedy is at hand! Apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for acid reflux may sound strange. However there are different types of acids. And apple cider vinegar is just the ticket to rid your body of acid reflux.
Apple cider vinegar and water
1. Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a regular-sized glass of water.
2. Sip the mixture slowly with a meal 3 times a day.
Let us know if you have any more herbal cures you swear by in the comments below.