A toothpick in a sandwich, a honey comb, and a tote bag handle are all on this year’s bizarre summer pet insurance claims list. –

Insurance company Pets Best released its annual list of the most bizarre pet insurance claims submitted to the agency during the summer seasons. Since the agency opened in 2005, rambunctious canines have generated a wide range of surprising claims during the warmer months of the year.

Dr. Jack L. Stephens, president of Pets Best, founded the pet insurance company in 1981 with a mission to end euthanasia when pet owners couldn’t afford veterinary treatment.

Below are five of the most unusual summer-related claims Pets Best has processed recently.

Can’t Handle the Tote

Tote bags can carry many delicious treats to a summer picnic, so it was surprising that Tony, a 10-year-old golden retriever decided the tote bag itself was more enticing than anything inside of it. The dog gobbled the handle of a canvas tote bag, but luckily, he arrived at a local veterinary clinic within 45 minutes of eating the unusual item. When a veterinarian induced vomiting, the entire tote bag handle came back up. Although Tony recovered, the tote bag might not make it to the next picnic.

Curse of the Honeycomb

While most pet owners are aware that bees can pose a danger to their pets, the honeycombs bees create can also lead to troubling situations for four-legged family members. While a honeycomb may look appetising, the treat wasn’t so sweet for Jordan, a 1-year-old Irish terrier. After devouring a honeycomb, Jordan experienced vomiting and was rushed to a veterinary clinic. Abdominal X-rays were taken and Jordan received fluids to treat his symptoms. The young pooch was placed under observation and then sent home.

Blister in the Belly

Jay, a Labrador retriever, ate an entire package of blister medication. As a result, she required veterinary treatment that included abdominal X-rays, an intravenous catheter to administer fluids and pain medication, and an endoscopy procedure to safely remove the item. The vet bill reached €1,000.

Sandwich Surprise

Willow, a 5-year-old Scottish deerhound, decided to partake in his family’s picnic by devouring a sandwich when no one was looking. Unfortunately, Willow didn’t notice the toothpick in the sandwich, which he swallowed along with the rest of the food. After an emergency trip to a veterinarian, Willow was well enough to recover from the sharp snack at home, where he received medication while his owners monitored his condition.

Toxic Trail Mix

Although trail mix is a popular snack for hikers and campers across the world, many of its ingredients are toxic to dogs. Meadow, a 7-year-old Bernese mountain dog learned this the hard way when she ate a large bag of trail mix containing raisins, macadamia nuts and chocolate chips, all of which are toxic to canines. Afterward, she received an urgent care examination and an apomorphine injection before being sent home to recover.

Comments? Email


About author

You might also like

Country Sports 0 Comments

Stalking Bambi


Share For those of us who have tried venison, is it one of life’s meaty pleasures. But you don’t have to go to the supermarket to get that taste. A

Country Sports 0 Comments

Wild About Birds


Share To some, birdwatching might, on the surface, look like a strange pastime involving a few people dressed in camouflage jackets running around the countryside looking for some small brown

Country Sports 0 Comments



Share As many of our readers live in our rural community, we often report on issues affecting the agricultural set. And there is a new issue in town. Currently, many


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply